Adobe Photoshop Lightoom, sometimes shortened to Adobe Lightroom, is a post-production photo editing and viewing program from Adobe.
Mark Hamburg was a senior engineer on the Adobe Photoshop team who eventually became the software architect. However, Hamburg left the team after Photoshop 7 shipped in April 2002. He resumed work on a project which he started in 1999 with a different approach to image editing, and developed a database that could store parameters for non-destructive image editing. In October 2002, he sent a prototype called "PixelToy" to former colleague Jeff Schewe for evaluation. In December 2002, Hamburg invited Photoshop co-creator Thomas Knoll to brainstorm as part of a team at Schewe's studio, briefly calling the project "SchewePaint". The resulting concept was called "Shadowland" and had an early version of its user interface by 2003.
On January 9, 2006, Adobe released the first public beta of "Lightroom" for Mac OS X. On July 18, 2006, Beta 3 was released for Microsoft Windows. The state of Minnesota was home to most of the Lightroom developers, which included Troy and Melissa Gaul, who previously worked on Adobe ImageReady.
- Photoshop Lightroom 1.0 was released on February 19, 2007.
- Photoshop Lightroom 2.0 was released on July 29, 2008.
- Photoshop Lightroom 3.0 was released on June 8, 2010.
- Photoshop Lightroom 4.0 was released on March 5, 2012.
- Photoshop Lightroom 5.0 was released on June 9, 2013.
- Photoshop Lightroom 6.0, also known as CC 2015 or CC 1.0, was released on April 21, 2015. It was the last version to be available through a perpetual license.
- Photoshop Lightroom for Apple TV was released on July 26, 2016.
- Photoshop Lightroom for mobile, marketed simply as Lightroom CC, was released on September 19, 2017.
- Lightroom CC 2018, also known as CC 2.0, was released in October 2018. Its features are more limited than the "Classic" desktop version for the purpose of consistency with mobile versions.[confused?]
- Lightroom CC 2019, also known as CC 3.0, was released on November 4, 2019.
- The Genesis of Lightroom (PDF) by Jeff Schewe, The Digital Negative: Raw Image Processing in Lightroom, Camera Raw, and Photoshop, p.41-44. Peachpit Press. 2016.
- Jeff Schewe is a photographer, Photoshop author and educator, Photoshop Hall of Fame. 2006.
- The Shadowland/Lightroom Development Story by Jeff Schewe, Photoshop News. 2006-01-09.
- The History of Adobe Lightroom Beta and it’s Features by Color Expert Admin, Color Experts International, Inc. 2012-07-25.
- Adobe Photoshop Lightroom at Adobe
- Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic
- Get started with Lightroom on a mobile device
- What's new in Lightroom
- Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC (2.0) (archived 2018-10-18)
- Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6 / CC 1.0 (archived 2015-04-21)
- Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 (archived 2013-06-11)
- Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 (archived 2012-03-06)
- Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 (archived 2010-06-13)
- Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2 (archived 2008-08-02)
- Adobe Photoshop Lightroom (archived 2007-02-02)
- Adobe Photoshop Lightroom at YouTube
- Adobe Photoshop Lightroom at Logopedia
- Lightroom at the Photoshop Wiki
- Adobe Lightroom at Wikipedia
- 10 Years of Lightroom at The Lightroom Queen (2017-02-19)
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
|Release history: 1 · 2 (2.5) · 3 · 4 · 5 (5.5) · 6 · 7 · CS · CS2 · CS3 (Extended) · CS4 (Extended) · CS5 (Extended) · CS6 (Extended) · CC|
|Photoshop Express | |
|Photoshop Fix | Photoshop Mix | Photoshop on iPad | Photoshop Sketch | |