Adobe Type On Call was an on-demand typeface library distributed by Adobe Systems on CD-ROM. The disc was available at a nominal cost (US$69) and included 30 pre-selected PostScript Type 1 fonts along with 2 more that the purchaser could select from a list. The remainder of the fonts were encrypted and could be unlocked through additional payment over the phone or the internet.
Type On Call 4.0.2 was released on May 8, 1995 with over 2,000 encrypted fonts and support for Unix-based systems for the first time. In 1996, version 4.1 contained over 2,100 fonts. By 1998, version 4.2 contained over 2,300 fonts.
As wider internet access made direct e-commerce more practical, the CD-ROM became obsolete and the Type On Call web page redirected to Adobe's online type collections by March 2000.
- Adobe Systems Brings Thousands of High-Quality Type 1 Fonts to the UNIX Platform With the Newest Version of Adobe Type On Call, Adobe Systems. 1995-05-08. Archived 1996-10-26.
- Got an HTTP 302 response at crawl time | Redirecting to..., Adobe Systems. Archived 2000-03-01.
- Adobe Font Folio, which contains Adobe's entire unlocked typeface library for a single upfront payment.
- Adobe Type On Call 4.1/ 4.2 at Adobe (archived 1996-10-27 / 1998-02-04)
- Type On Call at Adobe Support Community (2016-03-15)
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|