Fontographer was originally developed by Altsys, which was acquired by Macromedia in January 1995. Version 4.1 was included with Macromedia FreeHand Graphics Studio and FreeHand Graphics Studio 7 for Macintosh. The Macromedia packaging was designed by J. Stewart Huey.
In May 2005, before the acquisition of Macromedia by Adobe, FontLab licensed the rights to continue developing Fontographer, alongside its higher end FontLab Studio product. The last updates from Macromedia at the time were versions 3.5.2 / 4.1 for Windows and 4.1.3 for Macintosh / Power Macintosh. Fontlab began immediately selling versions 4.1.4 for Macintosh and 4.1.5 for Windows. By November 2005, version 4.7 for Mac OS X was released. The last release to date from FontLab is version 5.2.3 in December 2013. The Mac version is 32-bit and is not expected to be supported by MacOS Catalina or later.
- ↑ Software Review : Freehand Graphics Studio 7 for the Macintosh by Kathryn Lively, Compute Me!. Archived. 1997-03.
- ↑ Macromedia Fontographer by J. Stewart Huey, Katharine Green, CleanGetaway Communications and Branding. 2009.
- ↑ Macromedia Fontographer Support Center, Macromedia. Archived 2005-05-13.
- ↑ Fontographer has a new home at Fontlab Ltd.!, FontLab. Archived 2005-05-10.
- ↑ Fontographer 4.7 (Mac) & 4.1.5 (Win), FontLab. Archived 2005-11-24.
- ↑ Fontographer (Windows). Softpedia. SoftNews (27 December 2013). Retrieved on 8 January 2014.
- ↑ Fontographer (OSX). Softpedia. SoftNews (27 December 2013). Retrieved on 8 January 2014.
- Macromedia Fontographer 4.1 at Macromedia (archived 1996-10-27)
- Fontographer 5 at FontLab
- Altsys: small company with bit-time graphics impact by Cliff Lehman at MacWeek (1990-04-24, archived 2010-07-21)
- Interview with the FontMeister at BlogSpot (2006-05-31, archived 2011-07-08)
- Font Editor Tool History at Design With FontForge
- Fontographer at the Macromedia Wiki
- Fontographer at Wikipedia