Product history[edit | edit source]
Originally named Flash Generator, the program ran on JRun and used Macromedia Flash 3 files as templates. Flash Generator entered into public beta testing in May 1998. It was released as Macromedia Generator on August 17, 1998. Once automated, it could build on the templates with provided data to generate animated GIFs, JPEGs, PNGs, QuickTime movies, and Flash files for Macintosh or Windows computers. It also supported building charts.
Macromedia Generator 2 was released in October 4, 1999 and supported Flash 4-based files. The Enterprise Edition initially had a street price of US$30,000, but was repriced to $2,999 on April 10, 2001. The Developer Edition was priced at $999 per server. It also worked with Flash 5 and was included as part of Macromedia Flash 5 Generator Studio.
Discontinuation[edit | edit source]
Macromedia sought to migrate users to Macromedia Flash MX, but Generator was discontinued without support for Flash MX. Developers found an alternative through JGenerator, an open-source Java application from JZox which offered similar functionality with support for Flash MX. On December 11, 2003, Macromedia signed a licensing agreement with JZox, which no longer sells JGenerator.
References[edit | edit source]
- Macromedia Releases Flash Generator beta by Scott Clark, Internet News. 1998-05-20.
- Macromedia Ships Generator, Macromedia. 1998-08-17. Archived 1999-02-19.
- What is Macromedia Generator?, Macromedia Flash Enabled. Flash Design and Development for Devices by Christian Cantrell et. al. ISBN: 735711771. 2002-05-17.
- Went to a Macromedia Generator by Jason Kottke. 1999-11-09.
- Macromedia Generator 2 ships, delivers open enterprise solution for dynamically generated graphical web content, Macromedia. 1999-10-04. Archived 2000-01-19.
- Macromedia Generator 2 Enterprise Edition by Jay Munro, PC Magazine UK. 2000-09-19.
- Macromedia Generator FAQ, Macromedia. 2001-04-13.
- Macromedia Flash 5.0 and Generator 2.0 by Judy Qiu, Indiana University Bloomington. 2002-01-30.
- Macromedia Generator FAQ, Macromedia. 2003-06-21.
- What is JGenerator?, Macromedia Flash Enabled. Flash Design and Development for Devices by Christian Cantrell et. al. ISBN: 735711771. 2002-05-17.
- JGenerator with Flash MX, JZox. Archived 2004-04-14.
- Macromedia Generator by oshats, Experts Exchange. 2006-04-13.
[edit | edit source]
- Flash Generator product info at Macromedia (archived 1998-12-02)
- Macromedia Generator at the Macromedia Wiki
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|