Macromedia Generator 2 is the second major version of Generator, released by Macromedia in on October 4, 1999. It supported Flash 4 and 5-based files. It was also included as part of Macromedia Flash 5 Generator Studio.
Product history[edit | edit source]
The Enterprise Edition was shipped on June 7, 2000 and initially had a street price of US$30,000, but was repriced to $2,999 on April 10, 2001. The Developer Edition was priced at $999 per server.
Discontinuation[edit | edit source]
Macromedia sought to migrate users to Macromedia Flash MX, but Generator 2 was discontinued without having added support for Flash MX. Developers found an alternative through JGenerator, an open-source Java application from JZox which offered similar functionality with support for Flash MX. On December 11, 2003, Macromedia signed a licensing agreement with JZox, which no longer sells JGenerator.
References[edit | edit source]
- Macromedia Generator 2 ships, delivers open enterprise solution for dynamically generated graphical web content, Macromedia. 1999-10-04. Archived 2000-01-19.
- What is Macromedia Generator?, Macromedia Flash Enabled. Flash Design and Development for Devices by Christian Cantrell et. al. ISBN: 735711771. 2002-05-17.
- Macromedia Flash 5.0 and Generator 2.0 by Judy Qiu, Indiana University Bloomington. 2002-01-30.
- Macromedia Generator 2 Enterprise Edition by Jay Munro, PC Magazine UK. 2000-09-19.
- Macromedia ships Generator 2 Enterprise Edition, Macromedia. 2000-06-07.
- Macromedia Generator FAQ, Macromedia. 2001-04-13.
- Macromedia Generator FAQ, Macromedia. 2003-06-21.
- What is JGenerator?, Macromedia Flash Enabled. Flash Design and Development for Devices by Christian Cantrell et. al. ISBN: 735711771. 2002-05-17.
- JGenerator with Flash MX, JZox. Archived 2004-04-14.
- Macromedia Generator by oshats, Experts Exchange. 2006-04-13.
[edit | edit source]
- Macromedia Generator 2 at Macromedia (archived 1999-11-27, 2000-08-23, 2002-08-03)
- Macromedia Flash 5 Generator Studio (archived 2001-01-24)
- Macromedia Generator 2 at the Macromedia Wiki
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|